Registration and Courses

Academic and Financial Responsibility

During an academic session, from advance registration in the previous semester to final exams, you assume academic and financial responsibility for the courses in which you enroll. You must register successfully by the designated date in order to receive credit for the course in which you are enrolled, and you are relieved of these responsibilities only by formally terminating enrollment by dropping or withdrawing from those courses. For a schedule of deadlines concerning registration please consult the Academic Calendar; for information on how to register, please consult the Office of the Registrar's Questions on Registration.

Add/Drop Period

The Add/Drop period runs through the eighth calendar day of the Fall and Spring semesters (the second instructional day for the first and second Summer sessions). 

During the Add/Drop Period, students can:

  • Register for courses.

  • Drop a course(s) without record (and remain enrolled in other courses).

  • Drop all courses without record.

  • Change the grade type to Audit or Pass/No Credit (refer to Auditing a Course and Pass/No Credit Option sections).

  • Elect to retake a course with Grade Replacement (refer to Repeating Courses section).

After the Add/Drop Period students can withdraw from one or more courses in accordance with the Withdrawals policy.

Final Course Grade Appeal

A course grade assigned in a manner consistent with University policy can be changed only by the instructor. Procedures for addressing concerns about a grade can be found under the Policy and Procedure for Student Appeals of Final Course Grades.

Final Examinations

Final Exam schedules are published each semester. Students having three examinations in one day will be allowed to reschedule the middle examination by obtaining a memorandum from the Office of the Registrar to take to faculty members for verification of exam conflicts. (Note: Upon agreement of the student and another instructor, a different exam may be rescheduled.)  Refer to the Final Examinations Policy for more details.

Grade Replacement

Students may receive credit for a course one time only, unless the course description specifies that it “may be repeated for credit.”  However, students can repeat a course to improve their GPA under two different sets of conditions.  In the first case, within the limits specified in the next section, students may replace a grade.  This process is called “With Grade Replacement.”  In the second case, a student may repeat a course with the new grade averaging in with all others for this same course.  This is specified in the second section below as “Without Grade Replacement.”

With Grade Replacement

Undergraduate students may replace up to two (2) courses (maximum of 8 credit hours) for grade replacement.  Both grades will be reflected on the transcript.  However, the higher of the two grades will be used in calculation of the GPA.  This policy applies to courses first taken in Fall 2007 and thereafter. [Note: Some courses in the College of Health and Human Services may not allow grade replacement.]  All courses for which a grade of A, B, C, D, or F may be assigned are eligible for grade replacement under this policy.  The course to be replaced and the repeat course must have their grades assigned by UNC Charlotte.

Students must submit a completed “Grade Replacement” online form through Banner Self-Service by the last day to Add/Drop a course with no record in the semester or summer session in which the course is to be repeated.  A repeated course may not be selected retroactively to use this grade replacement policy.  In courses for which the final grade assigned was a D or F, the student may submit the “Grade Replacement” online form requiring no further approval, providing it is within the course and hour limits specified in this policy. In courses for which the final grade assigned was a C or above, the student must submit the online form that will be routed electronically to obtain approval of the department chair and the dean of the college of the student’s program or major, and remain within the two-course, eight-hour limitations of this policy. Once a student has filed a “Grade Replacement” form for a course that choice cannot be revoked due to withdrawing from the course or from the University. (Medical or special circumstances may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.) The original course grade will be the grade of record for the course and not a W. Any such withdrawal still consumes one of the two course substitutions permitted under this policy. Students enrolled in special topics courses for a grade replacement must enroll in the same topic for which they originally received the grade to be replaced. A grade received owing to an admitted or adjudicated academic dishonesty violation shall not be replaced if the course is repeated. This exception is not subject to appeal or academic petition.

Without Grade Replacement

In all courses which are not identified as being repeatable for additional credits, a student who has received a grade of C, H, P, or above in a course may repeat that course only with prior approval of the student’s advisor, department chair, and dean. Students seek approval by completing an “Academic Petition” form found on the Office of the Registrar's website or via Banner Self Service.  An undergraduate student who received a D, F, or U in a course may repeat a course without seeking outside approval.  All grades for repeated courses will be shown on the student’s official transcript and be used in the calculation of the grade point average.  For prerequisite purposes, the most recent grade will be used whether or not it is the highest.

Midterm Unsatisfactory Grade Reports

Faculty are asked to report midterm grades for undergraduate students earning a "D" or "F" and graduate students earning a "C" or "U." Subsequently, the Office of the Registrar sends an email to students with a link to My UNC Charlotte asking them to check reported midterm grades. Be sure not to rely solely on this process, as there may be reason a faculty member is unable to submit grades. Learn about your academic progress and status by speaking with your faculty members early in the semester.

Registration Holds

Holds in the registration system, sometimes referred to as "flags," restrict you from registering for classes. You may have a hold on your account for a variety of reasons. Academic holds are placed by a program, department, or college if, for example, you are required to see an advisor or need departmental approval to register for a course. Financial holds are placed if you have an outstanding fee that must be paid. You can check for registration holds using Banner Self-Service.