Advisor FAQ's

Click below for answers to your advising questions

Can I get permission to take more than 18 hours in a semester?

Summer – Students should take a max of 7 credits for First Half and a max of 7 credits for Second Half of summer. 

Fall & Spring – Students who have proven their capability to handle extra credit hours through previous academic performance are allowed to take additional credit hours. Interested students must request permission through their college to take more than 18 credit hours in the fall or spring semester.

What qualifies me as a full-time student?

Twelve or more credit hours are considered full-time for undergraduates and nine or more credit hours are considered full-time for graduates.

Academic Advising

Contact Us

How can I reach an academic advisor?

During pre-registration advising, students must schedule an appointment to meet with their assigned academic advisor through Starfish. Students may locate their academic advisor in Starfish under My Success Network. Advisor availability during SOAR and non pre-registration advising periods varies. Students are often accommodated on a walk in basis during these times. Please contact the Center at 704-687-7717 to inquire about walk-in hours.

How will an academic advisor assist me?

The University Advising Center staff is committed to helping students identify and achieve their academic and personal goals. As the student, you are responsible for the choices you make during your time in college. Academic advisors can assist your decision making by providing a solid foundation of information and support. Among other things, an academic advisor can:

  • Identify courses that meet general education requirements, prerequisites for your intended major, and that fit with your personal interests and strengths
  • Assist you in collaboration with your Career Advisor in exploring and choosing a major 
  • Help you understand probation/suspension and connect you with resources to help you succeed
  • Clarify academic policies and procedures
  • Initiate processes for completing transient study, declaring a major or minor, submitting academic petitions, and transfer credit re-evaluations
  • Discuss your progress towards completing the general education requirements
  • Discuss your progress towards meeting prerequisite/pre-major requirements for a given major, and suggest alternatives if you are off track

Who is my advisor?

All undeclared students are advised by the full-time advisors within the University Advising Center, located in Colvard North 2200. Those students who have declared a major should contact their major department to learn the name of their advisor within their program. Additionally, students who are seeking information regarding their completion of general education requirements should contact the University Advising Center for an audit of their current courses. If you are a student in transition from one declared major and wish to change to a different program, you may speak with any advisor in the University Advising Center during specified walk in hours.


How do I declare a major/minor?

In order to declare or change a major/minor, students are referred to the department housing the major/minor they intend to declare. All students must have a GPA of at least 2.0 in order to declare any major at UNC Charlotte. Majors such as Business, Computer Science and Software Information Systems, Communications, Criminal Justice, Architecture, Art, Nursing, Education, Psychology and Engineering have additional requirements and prerequisites. See an advisor for details.

I have not been able to declare the major of my choice – what can I do?

One of the secrets not often mentioned is that selecting a college major is a two-way street. Students choose a major based on personal interests, values and skills; preconceptions of the career they want after graduation; or sometimes because of what their family envisions (even if it is not the student’s top choice). Similarly, academic departments search for majors who have demonstrated success in their courses, and whose interests intersect with the talents of their faculty. Departments are also constrained to admitting only the number of students they can accommodate in the classroom. Unfortunately, this sometimes means that students are unable to declare the major of their choice.

For some, facing this obstacle can feel devastating. They may feel lost about where to go from here. They may even feel like giving up on college altogether. At the University Advising Center, we try to help students see the opportunities that still abound for students who are unable to declare their first-choice major. We know that there can be multiple paths for finding a major and a career that best fit you, and are here to help you navigate a new path.

Some of the ways your advisor can assist you include:

  • Helping you make sure you are fulfilling the general education requirements needed for graduation, regardless of which major you ultimately choose.
  • Identifying alternate majors that may lead to similar career paths
  • Showing you majors that draw on similar courses or pre-requisites
  • Guiding you towards campus resources (including the Career Center, the Counseling Center, and faculty members) that may help you discover the major that is the best fit for you AND the department
  • Answering your questions about policies and procedures for declaring a major, as well as concerns about suspension/probation if that applies to you
  • Talking with you about how to share the news with family and friends that you are changing your major

Finding a major that is right for you does not have to be a game of trial and error. Students must actively engage with their academic advisors, career advisors, and faculty in finding alternate major and career paths.

I'm having trouble deciding on a major - where should I turn?

Students who have difficulty deciding on a major or a career should utilize the services of the University Career Center located in Atkins 150. Each of these offices has a full-time staff and computer software programs that can aid students in making career and major decisions.

Coursework at Other Schools

How do I get permission to take classes at another school?

Students interested in taking classes at another school during the summer must first obtain a Transient Study Form (with required departmental signatures) from the University Advising Center or the Registrar's Office and complete it before enrolling in the courses at another institution. This process insures that UNC Charlotte will accept the credit for this coursework before the classes are taken elsewhere. Full time students interested in taking classes at another institution during the Fall or Spring semesters must get special permission from their departments to enroll through university consortium, or complete a Transient Study Form. Part time students are allowed to do course work elsewhere without special permission but still must complete a Transient Study Form.

How will my courses from another school transfer into UNC Charlotte?

Students must submit an official transcript from previously attended universities to Admissions along with their application. Admissions will complete an evaluation of transfer courses and assign credit accordingly. Students are encouraged to access UNC Charlotte's online Transfer Credit Advisor for help in determining how credits from another university will be recognized at UNC Charlotte.

Note: Students are advised to bring copies of all previous transcripts to SOAR or their first academic advising session.


How do I register for/withdraw from my classes?

Students must register for classes at UNC Charlotte through online registration at Be sure to observe all dates and times of operation for web registration. Also, be careful to observe drop/add, submission of Grade Replacement, payment, and withdrawal deadlines each semester. These dates are listed in the Academic Calendar link online. For detailed information about the registration process and your registration appointment time, visit the registrar's office website.

Student Success

Pre-Registration Advising


Schedule an appointment with your assigned advisor through Starfish.  Go to My Success Network to locate your advisor's availability. Please arrive on time for your appointment. If you are unable to make your appointment, please go into Starfish and CANCEL your appointment, preferably 24 hours in advance. If you are more than 10 minutes late to your appointment, you must reschedule. Failure to cancel an appointment twice will delay registration.


I'm suspended - what now?

Suspended students have several options. Should you decide to appeal your suspension, you may access the appeal form through Students may also choose to take summer courses at UNC Charlotte in an effort to pull their GPA to a 2.0 or above. Those students who decide to take summer school classes at UNC Charlotte in an effort to raise their GPAs still need to appeal their suspension in order to gain readmission to the university. In addition, suspended students may opt for readmission under the Forgiveness policy.  Any student who has been suspended is encouraged to meet with an advisor to weigh the different available options. 

Why am I on probation/suspension?

Any student who falls below a 2.0 GPA in a given semester is placed on academic probation at UNC Charlotte. All students are given at least one semester after being put on academic probation to reach good academic standing. For details about causes for academic suspension visit Academic Policies.
There are many academic support services available at UNC Charlotte, free of charge to students. These services are available for any student, and are particularly recommended if you are struggling to succeed in your college courses. For more information on study skill development, time management, tutoring, planning for exams, succeeding in math courses or writing in college, visit the University Center for Academic Excellence or the Writing Resource Center, or speak with your advisor.

General Education Requirements

Support for Adult and Evening Students

What services are available to evening students?

Adult and evening students should contact the Office of Adult Students and Evening Services (OASES) in Barnard 106 for more information regarding what additional services are available to them.

Placement Tests

Where and when can I take my Foreign Language Proficiency Test?

The Language and Cultural Studies Department in the College of Education 427 regularly offers proficiency exams. Refer to the following link for information on placement tests. We strongly recommend that all students meet with their advisor regularly to understand exactly what foreign language proficiency they are expected to complete, as there have been several changes in this requirement in recent years. Depending on when you first entered UNC Charlotte and when you declared your major, your requirements may differ from those of your peers.

Where and when can I take my Math Placement Exam?

Refer to the following link for Math Placement testing times and additional information concerning Math Placement.